LED displays/ screens are known as the flat panel display. While normal LED screens are made with diodes, giant LED display screens are manufactured with LED cabinet and LED module, which use pixels to create images. The brightness of these pixels altogether makes a giant LED screen suitable for outdoor usage. The store signs and billboards that you often find appealing under the sun are simply these LED displays.
But, have you ever thought of building one on your own? If not, then it’s high time to do it now as it’s not something you cannot do on your own. Contrary to the name, giant LED displays are quite easy to manufactured, you just need to have the right tools, parts, skills and knowledge to make it happen.
Elements Required to Making a Giant LED Screen
Now that you have decided to make an LED display on your own, the first and foremost thing is to know the items or parts involved in its making. So, let’s dive into the details and see how everything will turn out:
Giant LED displays are multi-purpose and can be used indoors or outdoors as per the requirements of the buyers.
- Brightness: Outdoor LEDs are expected to be brighter and more efficient as compared to indoor ones because they are exposed to the outside elements and need to face more difficulties. According to the experts, the brightness for outdoor giant LEDs should vary between 4000 and 6000 nits while for indoors, 800 to 1000 nits are suitable.
- Pixel Pitch: The next worth considering fact is pixel pitch that depends upon the size of giant LED screen. The principle for pixel pitch is same as that of brightness i.e. outdoor screens usually need more pixel pitch than indoor ones. For instance, an indoor giant LED screen can work with p1.25, p1.56, p1.667, p1.875, p1.923, p2 etc. whereas, outdoor LED pixel pitch starts from p3.0 and goes up to p10 or even more based on the environment they will be exposed to.
LED Display Modules
LED display modules are the fundamental part of giant LED displays that are responsible to accommodate LEDs, circuit and other parts. They are also different for indoor and outdoor use for which, you will have to evaluate the needs.
- Indoor LED Modules: With regular brightness level, indoor giant LED modules are available in p1.0, p1.25, p1.56, p1.667, p1.875, p1.923, p2, p2.5, p3, p4, p5 and p6.
- Outdoor LED Modules: For outdoor LEDs having high brightness, the modules should have p3.0, p4, p5, p6, p6.7, p8 and p10.
Here, what you shouldn’t forget is the size of module that will help to determine the number of screen modules required for making a giant LED screen. There will be different ranges with different features and prices for one size. Your job is to be ascertain about your needs.
There are two options for LED cabinets to choose from:
- Die-Casting Aluminum Cabinet: It is a top notch aluminum alloy with good dissipation, high grey scale, silent/ fan-less design, high brightness and seamless assembly. It is usually shaped with a molding machine so rest assured about the clarity of the shape.
- Standard Iron Sheet Simple Cabinet: Simple design that can be customized as well. It is light in weight, has high grey scale, independent disassembly box, shape can and cabinet size. In case of customization, it should complement LED modules.
The control system of a giant LED system consists of a controller box, a receiving and a sending card. At the time of choosing a controller, always pay attention on what type of control you want on the LED screen. If there are no special requirements, just go with any reasonable model or vice versa.
The next thing is the pixel pitch quantity that also depends upon the control on the device. Remember that every card/controller possesses a different pixel pitch loading capacity or LED quantity which you cannot exceed at any cost. So, determine how many control card you will need by considering the specifications of the control card and pixel density.
Note: The Loading Capacity of the control card should be higher than pixel density of the giant LED screen.
Source of Power and Wiring
Since LED modules do not have a big space, you should be using a small and low profile power supplies to lighten the giant LED screen. You can either go for UL approved or CE approved, based on the demand.
As for the wiring, it will be in zigzag order. You will start from the power supply and connect one wire to the power input of one module and then pass the wire through its power output and connect to the power input of the next module and so on. You will continue this process until you are done connected the last module.
Now that you are aware of the important factors or elements of a giant LED screen, it should be easy to make one on your own. Give it a try and see how the results will come out.