LED display screens have become the preferable option for video wall applications, thereby claiming a significant market portion from projectors or LCDs. However, there are a few cases where LEDs lack the capability and LCD comes to the rescue- for instance, when a person needs a small screen with high resolution, LCD emerges as the only choice. Similarly, for someone who wants low ambient light level, projectors are a viable solution. But, there is no denial in saying that LEDs are irreplaceable and turn out to be the best for video displays.
With high contrast level, superior brightness level and cost effectiveness, LEDs are capable of bringing the best out of themselves without suffering from burns like LCD video walls. Even, they are way better in calibration as compared to LCDs because when LCDs are arranged in an array, chances are high that one of them give different color balance than the others. So, all in all, LCDs cannot meet the expectations and therefore, LEDs have got the position!
But, the real question is: how to choose the right LED display screen? Yes, it’s really important to figure out the requirements before finally buying the LEDs. Don’t think that it is going to be an easy one since the process of selecting an LED is always tiring and daunting. So, in order to make it a bit reasonable and easy with the efforts, it’s important to seek answers to the following three questions:
- Where they are applied?
- What environment is it good for?
- What is a good viewing distance?
- What is a good pixel pitch of led display?
DOITVISION write this purchasing led display screen ultimate guide,Let figure them out.
Where they are applied?
To begin with, it is necessary to know the area where they will be applied and why. Since LEDs are versatile and can fit in a number of scenarios, companies can replace traditional media with them, thereby feeling no need to print or use outdated display technologies like projector screens and LCD panels.
Below are a few scenarios where LEDs are commonly used and needed to be installed:
- Ceiling Hung: When it comes to indoor or semi-indoor use, ceiling hung installation of LEDs is the best as they do not need any physical space, thereby saving a lot of space. Apart from indoors, these installations are also good for locations like entrances, passageways, venues, stations etc. However, make sure that these screens are small to medium sized because this installation cannot bear more weight.
- Wall-Embedded: This type of installation is also good for both outdoor and indoor applications. This method needs flushing or embedding of the LED display with the wall to enhance overall aesthetics of the space. The only thing to consider is the designing and planning stage for LED screen installation because it needs support from a steel frame.
- Wall-Mounted: It is one of the famous and commonly known methods for outdoor and indoor installations. It requires a custom-made steel frame bracket to mount on the wall to give support to the LED display panels.
- Single or Double Pole: This type of installation is needed for advertising boards or IP68 outdoor led display. Apart from the steel poles, a large concrete foundation has to be made underneath so that the whole structure stays in its place for as long as it is needed.
- Overhead Screen: Also referred to as overhead panel (OHP), LED display screens need to be installed on a standalone steel frame so that it can even be part of an existing pedestrian bridge.
- Mobile Application: This method has got popular over the couple of years as it involves installation of a complete display system on movable vehicles like vans, trucks or buses. They are usually needed for display advertisements or backdrops with sound reinforcement system.
What environment is it good for?
- Weather Resistant Capability: The thing that creates a major difference between outdoor and indoor LED display is the ability to resist weather conditions. It is usually measured in an Ingress Protection (IP) Rating, whose details are given below:
- Brightness Difference: Another thing between outdoor and indoor LED screen display panels is their brightness that is measured in nits or cd/m2. Higher measurement ensures more visibility in strong light and vice versa. With that being said, outdoor LED screens are provided with high brightness, which range between 4,500 nits and 7,000 nits. On the contrary, indoor LED screens do not have such requirement because they do not need much light.
What is a good viewing distance?
After getting to know about the method of application and an appropriate environmental conditions, the last yet an important consideration is the viewing distance. It is necessary for the person to determine can a suitable distance so as to figure out the pixel pitch accordingly. Keep in mind that this information is necessary otherwise there would not be the desired visual clarity.
The rule of thumb is to go for a pixel pitch (measured in mm) with respect to the viewing distance (measured in m). for instance, a 4m viewing distance requires LED display screen to be 4mm max. Ideally, buyers should go for small pixel pitch like 1mm so that there will be optimum visual clarity. If someone decides to go for higher pixel pitch i.e. 10mm, then the image will be pixelated.
To calculate the appropriate pixel pitch, use this formula:
Viewing distance (minimum in meter) = Pixel pitch (mm)
Pixel pitch (mm) x 3 x 1000 = Optimal viewing distance (mm)
Apart from the above 3 questions, power consumption is another considerable factor. Buyers must know electricity consumption by LED display screen before buying since every type or product gives a different result. For that, they have to pay attention of the power requirements of each pixel and calculate the total amount according to the number of pixels in the screen.
After reading this article, a person will have enough information to come up with a suitable LED video panel that will not only make their visual experience amazing but also save an amount by controlling electricity bills.