How LEDs Were Made?
Dynamic sound, lighting and electronic information signs worked as the key reasons and prototypes for the invention of digital display screens. Initially, the end products comprised on incandescent lamps that were unable to last for the expected time period i.e. they used to work for not more than 500 hours. After performing for this time, around 50 percent of the lamps started to fail, thereby needed replacement with new ones.
At this time, working conditions for digital screens were not so good- they remained in an ‘on-off’ mode continuously, thereby leading the way for significant modifications. Experts shifted their attention to the power supply and made a simple move of reducing the feeding voltage. With this step, incandescent lamps showed some extension in their working life but, brought another problem in light- lower power was shifting visible spectrums into the red zone. The problem wasn’t that much disturbing on monochrome screens but for users, having full-color or multi-color screens, situation was worse than before.
So, with the aim to convert a lamp display into a more reliable and multi-color installation, standard white lamps were introduced with light-blue, red, green and blue colors. Some led screen manufacturers placed them behind light filters that used to absorb a significant amount of light radiations in order to keep the screen brighter. The white balance, brightness and quality of colors on the screen was based on the quality of reflectors and light filters as well as their positioning.
Due to the following issues and requirements by the users, LED display screens have been introduced with the promise of bringing the best services and features of the users. LED screens have emerged as the latest and advanced trend for entertainment,such as rental led display as well as commercial purposes. They have solved most of the problems, especially related to the working lifespan. By replacing incandescent lamps with an LED screen, users are rest assured about getting the best viewing experience.
Types of LED Display Screens
According to the purpose and extent of use, LED display screens are available in a wide range. Each is known for having a unique set of characteristics, be it the color support, screen resolution or workable lifespan. Some of the common types are:
- COB- chip on board
- SMD- surface mount device
Apart from the first two, SMD LED screens are further divided into two subcategories: Black SMD and White SMD. Each is capable of providing a bunch of facilities that users would not find in any other option available in the market. Although both contain SMD LED Chips, it is their structure, design and a few features that create a difference. Buyers will have to look at those different before they end up on making a decision for either of them.
Comparison Between Black SMD and White SMD LED Display Screen
Below is a precise comparison of what makes a black SMD LED different from a white one:
Black SMD LED Display Screen
For outdoor advertising screen, Black SMD LEDs have turned out to be the best option. They are capable of providing the best viewing experience. There was a time when advertisers used to have LED screens for the same purpose but they weren’t successful in providing the required visual experience. Sometimes, the brightness wasn’t up to the required level while the other time, it became so bright that it caused light pollution. So, to deal with visual problems, manufacturers introduced a black SMD LED screen whose major purpose is to cater all customer requirements and provide the following benefits to the fullest:
- High contrast ratio: One of the incredible features of black LED display is the surety of getting high contrast ratio. As compared to other LED displays, SMD versions are way better and brighter. They are capable of providing an incredible viewing experience. Their blackbody is the secret behind offering a good contrast ratio- which is measured as 3000:1. This ratio has a direct impact on viewing experience as it makes the images clear and maximize displaying effect.
- Vivid colors: Another positive point of having a good contrast ratio is the surety of having rich and vivid colors. While they will be more gentle and near to the real colors, they do not affect viewers’ eyes in any way. They just give an amazing visual experience as the colors (such as dark green, black or grey) remain in control due to the blackbody, unlike the white body where the color combinations are affected by the structure and do not offer the required level of purity and clarity.
- Non-reflective: As a matter of fact, black is a non-reflective color and therefore, it doesn’t reflect the light no matter how bright it is. It doesn’t allow extra light to affect the viewing experience, thereby ensure more vivid, clear and purer colors of the images. This feature also makes black SMD LED a better choice for stage and other purposes where there is a lot of light.
- Amazing appearance: It doesn’t matter if people view black LED screen from the side or front, it always remains black. When turned out, it will maintain color uniformity and looks incredible, thereby making the experience better than a normal SMD LED.
White SMD LED Display Screen
White SMD LEDs are further divided into PLCC LED (reflectors) and Chip LED (PCB) configurations. They employ industry standard footprint to make the most of right angle-mount, top-mount and reverse-mount packaging options along with white range options of warm white, neutral white and cool white, based on the color temperature between 2600K and 11000K.
When it comes to the usage of white SMD chip LEDs, they are usually preferred in status indication, white appliances and goods, automotive interior, industrial control and measurement systems, push button backlighting and symbol lighting to ensure quality and efficiency in consumer goods and computer peripherals.
Here, the worth mentioning fact is that unlike their name, white SMD LEDs are not intended to produce white light. It comes in two different ways:
- A blue LED having a phosphor coating that converts blue color into white by the process of fluorescence.
- Green, red and blue LEDs that are combined on different intensities to produce white light.
As for the benefits or reasons to choose white LED, here are some of them:
- Energy-efficient, environmental protection, high-intensity and uniform illumination
- High consistency, low-power consumption
- Reliable and safe
- Uniform light spot, high light efficiency
- Incredible energy saving ratio, secondary light distribution technology and freedom to choose a light distribution method based on the lighting needs
- Long working period, unlike incandescent options
Which One to Choose?
After getting to know about black and white LED displays, it would be quite hard to declare any one the best. So, the rule of thumb is to analyze the requirements, evaluate both options and come up with the right option. This way, users can be rest assured about what they are using and how they should expect things to turn out.